Saturday, September 3, 2011

Reflecting on "Representing Reality"

      I found the reading from this chapter to be very interesting. To begin with, the author presents two photos taken in times of crisis (earthquake in Haiti). The first one shows a woman holding her rosary with a crumbling church behind her. The book gives examples of what the photo could mean but I thought of one myself. To me, it is a sign of hope, that although the woman must recover from the tragedy, she still finds hope in her faith.
       Something I was thinking about while reading about how photos can represent reality and such was that photos sometimes only show one side of a situation. Take for example photos after hurricane Katrina. People all over saw photos of survivors waiting on top of buildings for rescue, what they did not show, however, were the thousands of people, even still today, they came to the rescue in hundreds of different ways.
   I also found the part discussing the perfect family to be interesting, and it gave me something new to consider. Imagine if all our Facebook pictures consisted of candid moments like the moment we get out of bed, or the look on a girls face when there is a roach in her bedroom. It seems today that people don't want to show their real selves. I am no exception. If you were to look at my Facebook profile picture right now you would find me standing next to my brother in my basketball uniform. Of course my mom wanted to get this pic and that's why we're standing so close and smiling really big. Usually my brother and I don't get along too well and I also don't even play basketball any more. In fact, that picture was taken about 3 years ago and doesn't represent what is really going on in my life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment