Saturday, September 10, 2011

Writing Assignment 1

Soooo, this paper we are writing based on a picture. It's kind of tough. I am going to brutally honest with you on this one. My topic is about illegal immigrants in Arizona. In my writing I chose to oppose the law established by the Governor and persuade people to stand against it. HOWEVER, in all honesty.......I truly agree with the law. I know I am probably not supposed to do this, but I am persuading in the opposite direction of how I really feel. Truth is, I would really like to see more done against illegal immigrants because they simply do not have the right to be here. Anyways, writing this paper has been a little tough, but persuading in the direction I did made it somewhat easier because it gave a better argument for the picture I chose. The length of the paper is a bit much. I am used to the typical 5 paragraph essay which is usually all a teacher will ask of me.  Spreading it out into more than 5 paragraphs is a challenge mostly because many of the topics kind of run together and are hard to separate. Another difficulty I found with this paper is not using many outside sources. I like to use more facts and figures to prove points which is what we would call logos. Only basing the paper off the picture is hard because I would like to draw more info from outside sources than just the pic itself, so focusing on the cartoon was difficult. I can tell that this paper really made me actually think a lot and be more creative with my writing because typically I am a follower and base ideas off of others and this paper required more leading on my part to be creative. I believe you can get the gist of what I'm saying here.

2 comments:

  1. You are definitely choosing a difficult path when it comes to writing your paper on an opposite belief, but it's a good skill to learn (thinking/arguing from the other side).

    I appreciate your honesty though. It can be tough to draw a paper from a single source, especially when it is something foreign like analyzing a photo. You will be able to do it, though I am sure you will be happy to know that in the next paper you will be allowed to use other sources!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was really ironic...last night after I posted this, a tv show came on and it was about cops in Arizona tracking down illegal immigrants and drug trafficers haha

    ReplyDelete