Friday, September 9, 2011

Orbach Article

I support Orbach's notion to give girls and women a better self-image; however, this could present the argument that consumerism and fast-fast have created a fat population. Though this seems rather unrelated I still think there is a connection. Orbach brings it a lot of pathos in her article, using the phrases that speak to the emotions. Some instances of this in her writing are the testimonies and trying to make the audience relate to the issue by using "their wives, mothers, lovers, sisters, and daughters." I found a mix between emotional and logical reasoning in the part where she talks about the girl in Fiji; she gives statistical and mathematical evidence and the feeling of guilt about the adolescent girls' behavior. She also makes a few generalizations like this one, "Women have had enough of not finding themselves in the ads they look at." I support Orbach's efforts to create realistic body images for girls and women because in general, it's a good thing to do. I can see myself in the people she's talking about because I, too, have trouble with body image after seeing the skinny twigs in magazines and on television. I hope the ads will lead to an evolution of the meaning of beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment