Monday, October 10, 2011

Note-taking

When I am reading an article, I like to print it out and underline or highlight statements that are powerful or provide specific facts. I also jot down random ideas about my topic just so I can remember to put them in my paper. Based on Chapter 7, I find it difficult to discriminate between building on someone's ideas and when to start citing them. I think I really can use the two techniques on avoiding plagiarism with my paper by writing out how I can use certain info from a source in my paper without just copying it. The conversation/dialogue thing is a hard concept for me to grasp, so I am less likely to use that practice. I agree with the text that when people first learn to write and speak, we take after others before us. It's like the saying, "Practice makes perfect." But now we must be creative and form our own ideas and document sources we use, which makes our lives a bit more complicated.  Referring to the original source of a quote or idea will also help in my paper and make it easier to remember to document it. Other than that, the MLA guides in Chapter 7 will help me keep up with everything as I'm going through the research process.

No comments:

Post a Comment