Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Daily Rhetoric Examples



I see examples of rhetoric on a daily basis, but I will start with my bedroom. On a wall in my bedroom there is a poster of a lovely beach scene with the ocean and palm trees and a hammock. Underneath is simply written "RELAX." The poster gives the idea that beaches are meant for relaxation when in fact they are major economic centers and are also at high risk for serious weather dangers. Another example of rhetoric I face is the numerous emails from clubs and organizations trying to persuade me to join or participate. Likewise, on the walks and from classes, I pass many posters and flyer trying to convince me to join various groups and clubs. On my way to purchase my English textbook package I passed several ads in the bookstore which said "Rent Movies Textbooks." These ads persuade one to believe renting books is as easy and cheap as renting movies.

1 comment:

  1. Those are great examples!

    And yes, those rent a textbook signs are very interesting--though I wonder how well they actually work (persuasion wise)

    ReplyDelete